Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Digital Badge #F - Chapter 8



I think sharing information with families is important.  These days most teachers have a website automatically set up for them on the school website.  In my experience, however, many teachers don’t use it or use it very sparingly.  This is a shame because it is such a great way to include parents in what is happening in the classroom.  Most teachers say they want parents to be involved and supportive of their child’s education, but teachers need to make sure they communicate effectively with parents in order for this to happen.  I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gone to a teacher’s website to look up my son’s homework, only to find nothing or outdated information.  I know teachers are strapped for time, but how long can it really take to type, “Page 135, #1-15”?  Just that little bit of information would be so helpful.  If they actually took the time to post class notes and website links, I personally, would be ecstatic (Maloy, et al, 2014, p. 189).

            I found the section on texting interesting (Maloy, et al, 2014, p. 194).  I enjoy texting. I hate it when people leave me voicemails.  I would much rather they hang up and send me a text asking me to call them back.  I’ll probably see their text before I would listen to voicemail anyway.  I’m not a fan of overusing texting, though.  Sometimes it is still best to just pick up the phone and call.  Like the book mentions, I have had concerns about what all this texting is going to do to the grammar skills of today’s students.  I was encouraged to find out that it can actually help develop phonological awareness.

             I really liked the section on blogging (Maloy, et al, 2014, p. 198).  I like the idea of having students make their own blogs to encourage writing.  That seems like something that would appeal to today’s digital learners.  I also like the idea of having students read different blogs to get different viewpoints on a subject.  What a great way to expose students to more diversity.  Lastly, I really liked the idea of a teacher/class blog.  If any of my kids’ teachers had a blog for any of their classes, I know that I would check it on a regular basis.


            Social media is extremely popular with students these days.  This chapter had some great ideas on how to bring social medial in to the classroom.  It’s like the old saying, “If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em!”

Resources
Maloy, R., O'Loughlin, R., Edwards, S., & Woolf, B. (2014). Transforming learning with new    technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education Inc. 
Roberson, C. (2015, February 17). Connecting With Students Through Social Media. Created with Canva. https://www.canva.com/design/DABI6K4PxO0/8NxixIW5VtCseW48p0YkKw/edit

1 comment:

  1. "If you can't beat 'em, join them." is definitely worthwhile when it comes to technology innovations. The difference, sometimes, is how they are used. Our young adults definitely depend on social media but they often don't know how to tap into it for learning, professional communication nor are they always up on the ethical uses. Hopefully, we can begin to bridge that gap. :)

    Glad you tried Canva. It is actually one of my favorite tools to create well-designed 'posters' and images. My bright green digital blog information is a Canva production. Keep experimenting with new tools as you have time, but feel free to use previous ones up to a total of three times.

    ReplyDelete