Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Digital Badge #I - Chapter 4


I was very interested when I read the article on Thinkfinity (Maloy, et al, 2014, p. 75). Apparently it has changed, because I couldn’t find anywhere to enter a keyword and have amazing resources pop up.  They do still have links to all the content partners’ websites.  This was disappointing because it sounded like a very helpful website. I liked the idea of being able to easily find lesson plan ideas and primary sources since designing great lesson plans can be time consuming for new teachers.
Knowing Vs Understanding
Photo credit to CanadianAEh on Flickr
I could really relate to the “Voices from the classroom” section (Maloy, et al, 2014, p. 75). The teacher explained that the “knowing” is easy, it’s the “understanding” that is a challenge.  I agree with her that technology helps us get to the understanding by offering numerous ways to make learning meaningful.  Technology allows us to present the same material, but in ways that are more likely to grab and keep students’ attention.

Standardized AssessmentSpeaking on grabbing attention, the section on “New Approaches to Assessment” really grabbed my attention (Maloy, et al, 2014, p. 86).  I couldn’t agree more with the statement that, “Tests are driving the curriculum instead of the curriculum driving the tests.”  This seems to be a real problem in some areas, and I have heard many parents echoing what was said in the book.  Schools and teachers are so focused on the required tests, there is no time for fun anymore.  I think it is a very sad day when school is never fun.



I found this chapter to be very informative.  It was interesting to learn about the roles technology can play in assessments.  I believe that technology will continue to expand and  play an ever greater role in the classroom and in assessments.
References




Maloy, R., O'Loughlin, R., Edwards, S., & Woolf, B. (2014). Transforming learning with new technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education Inc. 

Roberson, C. (2015, March 10). Standardized Assessment. Created with ToonDoo http://www.toondoo.com/View.toon?param=8601542


1 comment:

  1. Cute ToonDoo! It is unfortunate that standardized assessment became the 'end all' for the last decade anyway. I believe change is underway to become more balanced, but then I hear rumblings in the state of NY that the Gov has made it priority again. In FL, it is beginning to moderate, but still an issue. And, yes, apparently Thinkfinity has changed - one of the problems with our ever-changing landscape of web resources. ;)

    ReplyDelete